To France

Lost in France? We asked to provide some advice on the best ways to learn French. See their 6 top tips to learning French.

For Work

If you are moving to Paris then you will probably be interested in working in Paris. To get a job in Paris – if are from outside of the European Community – you will need a work visa.

The good news is that the French government is implementing new measures to simplify and streamline procedures for visa applications for visitors to France who might, in their words: 'create jobs, develop exchanges, and participate in research efforts or artistic creation'. That definition includes business people, academics, scientists and artists.

As part of this initiative there is the new Skills and Talents permit that gives you, and your family, three years to work on a 'project' within France. This project needs to have a minimum investment of 300,000 € (415,470 USD) or proof of capacity to create a minimum of 2 sustainable jobs in France. You need to apply at your nearest French consulate before leaving for France and the ambassador will decide if your application is valid.

Also, there is the Salaried and Temporary Worker permit. Applicants from several different fields may be able to obtain a work visa for France under this category. The French government doesn't actually specify which professions get preference for visas into France but you do need to be a university graduate or a qualified professional with a minimum of 3 years' experience (preferably 5 years' experience) in your field. Independent professionals such as, I quote: "artists, authors, athletes, etc." will also be considered for a temporary work visa.

The Employee on Assignment permit: employees of companies based abroad can apply for this type of French work visa; it covers employees working on secondment at their company's French premises, or in a company that is part of the same group. The permit is valid for three years and is renewable.

The Seasonal Worker permit: this is a work permit for France that covers those engaged in seasonal activities for more than three months. Applicants can obtain a temporary residence permit valid for three years and renewable, allowing them to work for a maximum of six months during a 12 month period – working in tourism could be considered as seasonal work.

The Scientific Permit covers applicants who hold a Master's Degree and want to carry out research or teaching activities.

As stated earlier, non EU members should apply for a work permit before they leave your country.